WI AMERICAN RED CROSS SAFETY TIPS DURING QUARANTINE
Written by Brittany Styles on April 28, 2020
Justin Kern, Communications Officer with the American Red Cross of Wisconsin, joined us to talk about how we can help our local Red Cross during the COVID-19 pandemic. Justin also talked about the increase of home fires since the quarantine has been in place. He gave us some tips on what we can do to keep ourselves, and our family members, safe during this time.
7 Ways to Prepare for a Home Fire
- Install the right number of smoke alarms. Test them once a month and replace the batteries at least once a year. Purchase smoke alarms here.
- Teach children what smoke alarms sound like and what to do when they hear one.
3. Ensure that all household members know two ways to escape from every room of your home and know the family meeting spot outside of your home.
4. Establish a family emergency communications plan and ensure that all household members know who to contact if they cannot find one another.
5. Practice escaping from your home at least twice a year. Press the smoke alarm test button or yell “Fire“ to alert everyone that they must get out.
6. Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1.
7. Teach household members to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothes should catch on fire.
If you would like to donate to the disaster relief fund for the American Red Cross, CLICK HERE!