Written by on October 31, 2019

If you or someone you know needs help for the holidays, we’ve put together a list of some local resources!

Registration will be held at the Salvation Army (223 N 8th St S, La Crosse) during the following dates/ times:
Saturday November 2 : 8am-4pm
Monday November 4 : 8am-4pm
Thursday November 7 : 4pm-8pm
Final registration will be held during the Toy Drive in front of the La Crosse Center. Registration will be CLOSED after this time.
Saturday November 23 : 8am-6pm (FINAL REGISTRATION DATE)

They have reached their 500 family limit for Angel Giving Tree registration! Anyone that has reserved an appointment for their final registration day this Thursday (11/7) will still be able to register, but they’re unable to take any new applicants for the program.

Catholic Charities
Sponsorships for about 70 families (through their programs such as Rep Payee, St. Lawrence Community services as well as general community members); Must apply online.
Catholic Charities offers a Christmas store filled with new and gently used items; 1 item per person; the Christmas store will be open on December 16-19th and Dec 23rd no appointments needed; walk ins
Winter-Wear drive (commonly known as Coats for Kids) collecting coats, hats, boots, mittens, scarves, etc—all winter gear for kids and adults. Collection sites are Kwik Trip stores located in Onalaska, La Crosse, Holmen & Stoddard. Distribution for these items will be on Mondays from 9am-3pm at the Catholic Charities offices at 413 3rd St S, La Crosse, beginning on Monday November 11th.
The Warming Center, providing a safe and warm place for homeless adults 18 years and older to get in out of the cold until April 30.

Financial aid for bills or paying housing expenses
Veterans as well as their immediate family members can turn to the La Crosse County Veterans Service Office. The address is 400 4th St North. The staff there offer many different services, many of which are federally funded.
The VA office will help clients apply for financial help. This can include money to pay utility or heating bills, prescription medication vouchers, and housing. A common request will be for the veteran rental assistance program. The office also helps with applications to benefits such as Section 8 or disability for veterans. Phone (608) 785-9719.

Rural Housing administers the local PHA rental assistance programs. This will be for very low income families, farm workers, and residents in poverty. Most of this support is available as a result of HUD funding but there is a waiting list. The agency can offer everything from section 8 vouchers for paying rent to self-sufficiency. Dial (888) 400-5974 for information.

Couleecap works with clients to fight poverty, homelessness, and unemployment.

If you know of any we should add to the list, email ballzer@z933.com

Current track